Do Blacks Need to Relax Their Natural Hair to Get Promoted?

I thought this was interesting, especially since I was told last night at my WAS second job, that I can not wear my hair the way I normally wear it. I was told that I either need to pull it back or flatten it. I thought it was crazy seeing as though I normally work around a lot of business owners, and senior corporate exec, and there was never a problem, but my hair is not acceptable to bartend at a football game, in a private suite?? So after I was told about my hair and a few other issues had occured that night, I will no longer be working for them. I started thinking, "what is considered acceptable?" I am not going to change my natural hair, to pleases others. My hair was tastefully done. Who I am and the work that I do define me, not my hair, so why do I need to change it? Is it borderline discrimination? How do you deal with your natural hair and the workplace?

Do Blacks Need to Relax Their Natural Hair to Get Promoted?

Posted using ShareThis

Comments

  1. Wow is all I can say!!! I can't BELIEVE they would even tell you something like that!!! I think its hair discrimination!!! If your hair is good enough for corporate America, then what's wrong with being at a stupid football game?!! Some people are intimidated by black women who have natural, big, curly hair. Then on the other hand, some people WISH their hair could curl up like ours!!! I have no issues at my job with my hair. But if they would step to me and try to pull me to the side about it, I would tell them to hold on because I'm calling HR like RIGHT NOW!!!! I can understand that you don't want me to have crazy piercings and even crazy hair colors to where it looks like I dyed my hair with Kool-Aid even. But for my hair to be in its natural state and to tell me I don't look presentable is totally different. Glad you're not working there anymore!!! I say boycott that place but I would definitely call HR!!!

    Forever nappily yours,

    Tracee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no they didn't! You asked the question Is natural hair acceptable in the workplace? I respond with ask God if its acceptable since He was the one who blessed us with our gorgeous, versatile, beautiful hair. Thanks for representing and not giving in to their ignorance. Ok my blood pressure is going down now so let me say that I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying school. We'll catch up later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, forgot to add my name to the post above. Val this is Erica :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts